It's Raining in my Apartment

Why doesn't Halifax have any system in place where renters can make complaints against landlords? Sure there is the tenancy board, but that doesn't work for things quickly like, say repairing a roof asap. It is currently raining in my apartment kitchen. I've called the landlord, he will be around on Monday to take a look at it (today is Saturday... the paint is bubbling, the floor wet). He can't be bothered to come down to look at it and to fix it, seriously.

The tenancy board office is closed on weekends. I called the HRM office, I made a minimum standards complaint, which takes 4 business days for them to process. Why isn't there a rentalman's office like in other provinces?

I am stuck in a lease until June 30th. A couple weeks ago we had a leak in between the wall of our apartment and the apartment next to us. Now on the other side of the apartment it is leaking. Now all I can think about is mold, and the risk of electrical fire, as I am pretty sure that electricity and water don't mix.

It must be nice to be a landlord who just collects the rent, doesn't properly repair leaks, and can't be bothered to say at least come down and take a look at the damage. I have a feeling that the damage from the leak will somehow be coming out of my damage deposit. —Can't Wait to Move

Comments (15)

Showing 1-15 of 15

Add a comment

Add a comment

Remember, it's entirely possible to disagree without spiralling into a thread of negativity and personal attacks. We have the right to remove (and you have the right to report) any comments that go against our policy.

xxx - Deprecated in favor of GTM, above.