(6041 North Street), the north end charcoal rotisserie chicken restaurant, will be closed for an undetermined amount of time after a fire broke out on Sunday.
The restaurant’s co-owner Jenna Mooer
s says the fire was deemed accidental and likely started in a laundry dryer in the backend of the building. While fire damage was largely contained to the storage area and staff room, there is still significant smoke damage throughout the entire space.
“It’s going to take quite a bit of painting, cleaning, and refinishing,” said Mooers. “I would say we’re going to be closed for some time, with hopes of reopening in the spring at some point.”
Mooers received a call around 6pm
on Sunday that smoke had been reported billowing out from the restaurant. The alarm system alerted the fire department and the fire was contained and extinguished within approximately 30 minutes.
“We’re so fortunate that the fire was contained to our unit and didn’t spread to our neighbours,” Mooers says of the blaze.
CHKN Chop shares a strip mall with Jessy’s Pizza
and Unfiltered Brewing.
Mooers expressed her gratitude to the Halifax Fire Department and Halifax Regional Police, as well as the support of her neighbours—like Java Blend, who brought coffee while they waited outside in the cold on Sunday.
Mooers says that, while “the loss has been pretty devastating as a business owner,” she is focusing on the good fortune that the restaurant was closed at the time and no one was on site.
“It has been an emotional loss for me,” said Mooers. “But we’re focusing on the fact that no one was hurt—that’s the most important thing. Beyond that, all of this is just stuff and money.”