Shoptalk, May 14

by

comment
Joanne David gets busy

In Joanne David Accessories (1276 Barrington, 404-1276), things are heating up for the summer. “We close at seven but sometimes we’re here until nine,” says David. The store is full of shoes, but there’s plenty of bling, too, in the form of handbags and fashion accessories. Really hot right now is the “FitFlop.” “It’s supposed to tone your butt,” says David, whose store was the number one retailer in Canada for the footwear last year. Shoptalk can report that they’re much more comfortable, and sexy, than we expected.

Entity Opens

Opened last Saturday on the Bedford Highway is the next hotspot for anyone into surf, skate and snow. Entity Boardshop (1270 Bedford Hwy, 406-3449) is the creation of Rob MacLeod, 27, who has been snowboarding for 17 years. His intention is to bring to the people the best in apparel and equipment. “I’ve definitely got some bangin’ lines,” says MacLeod. The store will include products by Burton, StepChild, Etnies, O’Neal, Billabong, ThirtyTwo, ES skate clothes, and many more big names in the world of moving quickly on a board of some kind.

Student bookstore stays open

If you walk into the University of King’s College courtyard from Coburg Road and turn right into the New Academic Building, take the elevator down to the basement. There you’ll walk into the University of King’s College Bookstore (also known as the King’s Co-op Bookstore), one of the few student-run bookstores in Canada. Operational since summer 2006, it carries approximately 60 percent student texts, but the remaining 40 percent includes “a fairly large fiction section,” says store manager Carolyn Gillis. Now, just because the students have largely vacated the campus until September, doesn’t mean they turn off the lights and lock the door: The bookstore will remain open all summer, 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Drop by at 6350 Coburg or call 422-1271x261.

heroine’s trunk shows

This season heroine (5775 Charles, 420-0328) is all about independent shows, each presenting the collection of one designer only, a little like a mini wearable art show. Upcoming shows include: Studio Fresh, May 15 and 16, Muriel Dombret May 22 and 23, and Veronique Miljlkovitch, June 5, 6, 11 and 12. The shop will be open on weekends or by appointment.

Jay Wells Salon New Location

Now at 1673 Barrington on the 3rd floor, the professionals at Jay Wells Salon are thrilled with their new-since-December digs. “It’s twice as big as the previous space,” says salon manager Sean Robar, of the open, 2,000 sq. ft. beauty spot. Call 422-3532 to make an appointment with their new aesthetic services, two new hairstylists or to get a massage.

Shoptalk-lets

I Love Sushi (5232 Blowers, 429-6168) has closed for a month while the landlord renovates the building. Shoptalk has learned that neighbours Hungry Chili (5234 Blowers, 444-3554) are in dispute with the same landlord about those renovations. | After 50 years, Olympic Confectionary(1146 Barrington) has closed. The diner/convenience store was run by George Karmas until his death last year, and kept open by his family since then. “Twenty-five years ago my ex and I had our first burger together in there,” says Allie Edgecomb, wistfully. She owns the fashion boutique next door. She says the Karmas family still owns the building and will be leasing the Olympic space out to the people from Jessy’s Pizza. | Speaking of Ms Edgecomb, we at The Coast have no trouble admitting our screw-ups, and one of the things we’ve missed is that Allie’s New Boutique (1144 Barrington, 420-1070) is no longer in the vintage business, it now showcases only brand new clothes, scarves, bags and sunglasses. Hot at the moment are circle bags, ruffle bags and shingle bags. “It’s the big thing,” says Edgecomb. “A couple of girls told me the other day they’d seen them in Paris.” | The Mac Store (1106 Barrington, 422-6556) is about to endure a couple of weeks of renovations. They’re knocking down a wall to accommodate the growing business, the result of which will be a new store layout, more desks and displays, and the appearance of two extra salespeople. The Apple computer experts will stay open through the changes.

Add a comment

Remember, it's entirely possible to disagree without spiralling into a thread of negativity and personal attacks. We have the right to remove (and you have the right to report) any comments that go against our policy.