Between Craft Beer Week, Open City, Free Comic Book Day and Mother's Day, it's an exciting weekend in the city with loads of things to get out and see, hear and drink.
10. Live Music › The Charlottetown Invasion. Thursday, May 5, 10pm.
Upstreet Craft Brewing presents the Charlottetown Invasion, an influx of islanders overtaking the Seahorse's stage, including Coyote, Whaleskin and ECMA-nominated acts Sorrey and Racoon Bandit.
9. Spring Festivals › Free Comic Book Day. Saturday, May 7.
Free Comic Book Day is exactly what it sounds like. Comic shops around the city are participating in the event to pass out free comic books and host special events. Expect to see lineups of costumed enthusiasts, magic shows, live drawing and giddy kids.
8. Film Screening › Guantanamo's Child: Omar Khadr. Thursday, May 5, 6pm.
This documentary portrait of Omar Khadr, directed Patrick Reed and Michelle Shephard, lets the subject tell his story in his own words. That story is, of course, Khadr's decade spent imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay.
7. Live Music › Spirit of the Wildfire w/Blunt Cousin, Spinson. Friday, May 6, 10pm.
High off the fumes of their 4/20 album release, Spirit of the Wildfire tear up the stage at Jacob's.
6. On Stage › The House of Bernarda Alba. Sunday, May 8, 8pm.
Xara Choral Theatre Ensemble presents an original choral theatre adaptation of The House of Bernarda Alba, Spanish playwright Federico Garcia Lorca’s tale of five sisters forced into an eight-year mourning period by their mother.
5. Live Music › Christa Couture. Friday, April 29, 7pm.
Aboriginal Music Award-winning singer-songwriter Christa Couture has a knack for turning tragedy into triumph and pain into art. Catch her in concert with Angela Riley.
4. Mother's Day › Not Your Typical Mother's Day Recital. Sunday, May 8, 7:30pm.
Barbara Pritchard performs piano pieces by six Canadian composers. Mothers get in for free if they're accompanied by a child.
3. Comedy › The Kyle Barn(et)burner. Sunday, May 8, 8pm.
Local comics Kyle Barnet, Dan Hendricken, Travis Lindsay and Martin Edwards tell some jokes to raise some funds for a friend who was injured while out of the country.
2. Nova Scotia Craft Beer Week › The 2016 Stillwell Open. Sunday, May 8.
The Stillwell Open will crown the best session beer and the best imperial beer in this evening face-off of 24 beers brewed by home and craft brewers.
1. Spring Festivals › Open City 2016. Saturday, May 7.
I Love Local Halifax hosts the annual city-wide celebration of local business, food and art. Enjoy backdoor takeout from local restos, discount admission and special exhibits and museums and galleries, live music just about everywhere and fun events at local businesses like Meet the Maker, promos and sales.