1. Open Mic House Best music venue on Monday nights. Real intimate. Real music. Right next to the NSLC on Agricola.
2. Java Blend Best coffee in Halifax. Roasted under that same roof. Delish!
6027 North Street
3. Dee Dee's Ice Cream Best ice cream around. Made right there in the store with local ingredients. 5668 Cornwallis Street
4. Ace Burger Co. Can't go wrong. God damn good burgers. 2605 Agricola Street
5. Obsolete Records What's that album you've been looking for? They got it.
2454 Agricola Street
6. The Public Library Don't believe the hype: you don't need to spend money to have a good time. Good books, good music, good times. Go open your mind, and bring a friend. 5381 Spring Garden Rd., 2285 Gottingen St.
7. The Farmers' Market The new one, the old one, whatever you want. Either are best on Saturdays, but the new one is open on weekdays too. Historic Farmers' Market, 1496 Lower Water Street and Seaport Farmers' Market, 1209 Marginal Road
8. Local Source Market If you miss the farmers' market, you'll pay the "sleeping-in tax." It's a little pricier, but you can get really good food from really good people. Treat your body right and support our farmers!
5783 Charles Street
9. Two If By Sea Best coffee in Dartmouth. Maybe the best coffee in HRM. They take their coffee very seriously, and their croissants cannot be beat. Don't just follow the crowd---take a trip to Dartmouth. 66 Ochterloney Street
10. The Wooden Monkey This restaurant offers the best view of the harbour. That's because it's in Dartmouth. The view of Halifax across the water is gorgeous. This new location of The Wooden Monkey seems to be a secret, but it's worth a visit. The menu is based around local and organic foods when possible, so take the ferry across the water and treat yourself. 88 Alderney Drive