- Jamelie Hassan
- Saint Mary's University Art Gallery's new collection—inspired by the Arab Spring—features works like this one by Jamelie Hassan (See number 4). Image provided by the artist.
10. Literature › Unusual Tales of Unusual Gifts. Thursday, June 9, 7-9pm. Storytellers Circle of Halifax presents an evening with featured storyteller Liz Newkirk followed by an open mic for storytellers in attendance. >>
9. Live Music › Banjo Dan Walsh In Concert. Sunday, June 12, 2pm. Experience the music of UK Banjo sensation Dan Walsh at this intimate concert. Sitting around a coffee table together, guests at this home concert will truly get to know Walsh and his work, connecting through song in a relaxed setting. >>
8. Halifax Independent Filmmakers Festival ›Atlantic Auteurs #2. Thursday, June 9, 7pm. Halifax Independent Filmmakers Festival's second instalment of short works, Atlantic Auteurs #2 offers a variety of pieces for many tastes. From a stop-motion short on surveillance society to a piece on about mould growth, this collection pushes artistic boundaries. >>
7. Lecture › CaNOE Ocean Literacy Keynote. Thursday, June 9, 5-9:30pm. Tired of all the doom and gloom surrounding environmental discussions? This Ocean's Week event offers a ray of hope. Join speaker Dr. Elin Kelsey, educator, researcher and award-winning author, as she discusses what's new in ocean conservation—and all we have to be optimistic for. >>
6. Dance › April Rose. Friday, June 10, 8pm. See the slithering, sultry moves of world-famous belly dancer April Rose as she shares the stage with a fabulous selection of local dance stars. Shake your hips and get lost in the groove! >>
- Alert the Medic
- Catch Alert The Medic! as part of the lineup at Garrison's Backlot Bash! (See number 1).
5. Theatre › Unconscious at the Sistine Chapel. Thursday, June 16 and Friday, June 17 at 7:30 pm. 2b theatre company premieres Unconscious at the Sistine Chapel, recreating the famous ceiling in Paul O'Regan Hall. The play explores artificial intelligence, suppressed desires and an unlikely encounter between an alcoholic genius and Freud. >>
4. Visual Arts › Disoriented: New Works from the Permanent Collection. Friday, June 10, 8pm. Showing until July 31. Marking the fifth anniversary of the Arab Spring, this opening shows a collection of recently-acquired permanent pieces centred on themes of Asian cultures and identity. Rejecting the West's long history of romanizing eastern cultures as the exotic orient, this exhibit allows the voices of diverse Asian and Middle Eastern artists to be heard. >>
3. Health & Wellness › Barefoot Ecstatic Dance. Saturday, June 11, 7:30-10pm. Get your zen on at this evening of moving meditation! The perfect way to add a dose of relaxation to your weekend, this event is all ages. Please refrain from wearing scents. >>
2. Halifax Independent Filmmakers Festival › Don't Blink: Robert Frank | Laura Israel. Friday, June 10, 7pm. Laura Israel's documentary of her longtime friend and collaborator Robert Frank tells the story of this reclusive artist. Recently described by the New York Times as “the world’s greatest living photographer,” Frank is a part-time Nova Scotian who's worked with big names such as the Rolling Stones. >>
1. Live Music › Garrison Brewing's Backlot Bash. Saturday, June 11, 5pm. Garrison Brewing once again kicks off the summer concert season by throwing an epic party behind their expanded Seaport brewery. The 2nd annual Backlot Bash! takes place June 11th featuring Canadian alt-rock sensations July Talk, Multi-ECMA nominated Alert the Medic, and local faves Three Sheet and The Brood. The event is in support of the Ecology Action Centre. >>