If you're more likely to fall into the third class of shoppers—and you're looking for unique or rare prezzies and more personal shopping experiences—you should know that it's officially pop-up shop season. Special shopping events abound! The best thing about these intimate soirees is how easy they make it on you, the spender...you can be lazy, locally-minded and a great gift-giver all at once. If you're looking to fulfill all of those, or even one of those, here are some temporary shopping spots you can cash in on over the next two weekends.
- Work by Erin Christensen
1. NSCAD’s many talented folks present Pop-up at the Christmas Shop this Friday (4-9pm) and Saturday (9am-5pm) at the former Christmas By The Sea (1800 Hollis Street), bringing the empty storefront to life with the art and craft of 60-plus students. There'll be jewellery, prints, ceramics, textiles, as well as wrapping on-site, treats and cider.
2. Over at Lost & Found (2383 Agricola Street) the creations of Sherry Lynn Jollymore—“a smattering of upcycled and handmade clothes with a smidge of special vintage and a sprinkle of some crafty bits like Christmas decorations”— will grace the shop Friday, November 28 from 6-8pm.
3. Tori Poynton will adorn The Flower Shop (1887 Granville Street) with her jewels or her seventh annual TORI.XO Jewellery Party, also on Friday, from 6:30-8:30pm. Live jazz, wine pairings from Bishop’s Cellar and an intimate setting to shop the 2014 collection—it should be a great (and fragrant) night.
- Bowl by Melody Hillman, eggs by Chicken
4. This Saturday, November 29, Pro Skateboards and Snowboards (2451 Quinpool Road) hosts Holiday Handmade Sale, an all-day sale of handmade goodness from the likes of Thief and Bandit, swinej, Drifter Goods and Melody Hillman's ceramics.
5. Next weekend, Frank & Folly arrives! We told you about this coming-soon gift-inspired shop a while back, and since then it's pumped up its website, but the potty-mouthed shop is kicking off its IRL presence with presents! Tanked & Jolly, Frank & Folly's first pop-up, will take over The Company House (2202 Gottingen Street) next Thursday (December 4) from 6-8pm, bringing cards, prints, jewellery, and goods from Bad Mouth Soap, Better Beard Co. and Dartmouth Clothing Co. to the table.
- THE BEST POSTER
6. *H*O*L*I*D*A*Z*E* is Big Pony's (1453 Brenton Street) festive pop-up and the reason for amazing poster art. It'll go down over the next three weeks, but the celebrations/kick-off take place next Friday, December 5, from 6-11pm. *H*O*L*I*D*A*Z*E* will boast snacks, egg nog lattes, its usual supply of amazing second-hand deals but also new clothing, ceramics, accessories and art from over 20 artists. DAMN.