Council had the week off, but we did notice that Mayor Kelly took a moment to speak with the Chronicle-Herald on Saturday.
Kelly told the Herald that council hadn't received the detailed financial documents they were expecting to see regarding the Commonwealth Games bid process. Kelly effectively passed the buck to top city bureaucrat Dan English, saying that council had been expecting routine releases of information from the city's chief administrative office—but, to date, those releases haven't materialized.
English tells us he was none too happy about the story—the Herald tried and failed to contact English, thus denying him the opportunity to respond.
"We announced last Tuesday to the Mayor and John O'Brien that we would be posting everything we had on Thursday of last week," says English, referring to the glut of information that went up on the city's website on Thursday, October 4: www.halifax.ca/halifax2014archives
And, yes, quite a large number of documents did indeed appear. Unfortunately, the mayor missed the memo.
"I've talked to him since," says English. The two discussed the misunderstanding. So, things are back to relative inter-city-politico harmony. I know you're all relieved.
As for the ongoing struggle towards full Games bid disclosure (perhaps spurred on by Tim Bousquet's ass-kicking cover feature last week? Just sayin'...), English says the city has been actively working on an audit since the bid fell apart in March.
"And if there's some piece of information someone is looking for that's not on the website," says English, "ask and ye shall receive."
For all those who have not yet tired of the ongoing Twisted Towers saga: brace yourself, yet again.
Nova Scotia Heritage Trust's 30-day deadline to appeal the latest Towers ruling by the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board drops this Monday, October 15.
We tried to get you something more concrete than simply, "Wait and see," but at press time, that's all we could get out of Heritage Trust president Philip Pacey.
"We're aware that the deadline is upcoming," he told us on Wednesday. "We'll be making our decision sometime in the next few days."
Oooh, the anticipation. Will the 27-storey Sistahs finally get their go-ahead? Will the Heritage Trust take it all the way to the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal? Will our heads all collectively explode like in that movie Scanners?
Well...wait and see.
And last but not least: in case you missed it, the city design initiative HRM by Design has put forward the idea of having year-round patios on Argyle Street.
Yeah, that's right: year-round patios. We shivered, too. The widened summer sidewalks of Argyle would be left in place 365 days a year, and bar and restaurant owners would be free to install heaters/enclosures to make the idea, you know, realistic.
(I'm not sitting outside on Argyle Street in February. Ambience be damned.)
City planners are still examining the idea; it could formally arrive at council as early as this spring.
Send your news/Halloween costume tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.